Santa Maria Novella is one of the most famous churches of Florence. It is located near the railway station, in the square with shares the same name. Its construction dates back to 1249 even if the foundation stone was laid on October 18, 1279, during St. Luke’s celebrations. Works continued until 1360.
The white and dark green marble facade was resumed by Leon Battista Alberti in the 15th century. The church hosts many masterpieces: Masaccio’s Trinity, Giotto’s Crucifix, a wooden Crucifx by Brunelleschi, a cycle of frescos by Filippo Lippi, Giambologna’s Crucifix, a cycle of frescos by Ghirlandaio; to mention the glass walls built between the 14th -15th century, the most beautiful of which are those by Filippo Lippi in the Strozzi Chapel .The entrance ticket includes a visit to the historical complex of Santa Maria Novella, the Cloister of the Dead, the Green Cloister, the Spanish Chapel, the Ubriachi Chapel and the Refectory.The ticket office closes 45 minutes before the last visitor entrance.
Basilica visit times
dal lunedì al venerdì: 9:00 – 17:30
sabato e prefestivi religiosi: 9:00 – 17:00
La biglietteria chiude alle ore: 16:15
Costo biglietto: 5€ intero, 3.50€ ridotto
Tel. 055 21 92 57 – Fax. 055 90 67 593
The Church of Santa Croce (church of the Holy Cross) is a very ancient church and a beautiful example of Gothic architecture. It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italian poets,writers and artists, such as Foscolo, Michelangelo, Machiavelli, Alfieri, Galileo Galilei, Rossini, Canova, Leon Battista Alberti. Its construction started in 1294 and it was completed in the second half of the 14th century. The floorplan is an Egyptian cross with three naves divided by octagonal pillars. The lateral chapels host wonderful frescos (Peruzzi and Bardi Chapel, for example, were painted by Giotto) and altars. The Major Chapel is consecrated to the Holy Cross and it hosts the Legend of Cross and frescos by Agnolo Gaddi. The Pazzi Chapel, in the cloister, designed by Filippo Brunelleschi and finished by Michelozzo, is a typical example of Renaissance architecture. In the Museum of the Opera di Santa Croce, the visitor can admire the Crucified Christ by Cimabue. The church is located in the historic centre of Florence and you can reach it by the main transport means. Ticket costs 6 euros, 4 euros reduced price.
Visit times – Church of Santa Croce
Lunedì – Sabato dalle 9:30 alle 17:00
La biglietteria chiude alle ore 17:00
Costo biglietto: 6€ intero, 4€ ridotto
Tel./fax +39 055.2466105
The Chiesa di Ognissanti ( All-Saints Church), with its baroque facade, overlooks the square sharing the same name. Its origin is tied to the birth of Umiliati, a religious order who built their monastery out of the city walls, in a zone particularly suitable to religious life and to wool and glass working. At the end of the 13th century, the Umiliati gained high positions in the society and the church was consequently enriched with wonderful masterpieces. Giotto’s Majesty, now at Uffizi, was on the major altar. The church hosts also a Crucifix by Giotto and works by Botticelli, who painted St. Augustine and who was buried in the same church, and Ghirlandaio, who painted St.Jerome, a Pietà, a Virgin of Mercy and a Last Supper in the refectory.
Visit times – Chiesa di Ognissanti.
Lunedì – Venerdì dalle 9:00 alle 12:30
Domenica dalle 9.00 alle 10.00, 16.00 alle 17.30
The Duomo of Florence is the symbol of the city and of Italian art in the world. Giotto’s campanile, Brunelleschi’s dome and Vasari’s frescos make this church a priceless masterpiece. It was built on the site of an earlier church dedicated to Santa Reparata. Its contruction started in 1296; in 1412 it was dedicated to Santa Maria del Fiore and finally it was consecrated by Pope Eugene IV in 1436, when the dome was completed. The Gothic facade is faced in alternate vertical and horizontal bands of polychrome marble (red, white and green). The interior astonishes for its vastness and austerity.The Baptistry of Saint John is opposite the cathedral. The mosaic on the dome represent a big Christ and some scenes of the the Last Judgement. The baptistry has three bronze doors: the South door by Andrea Pisano, the North Door by Lorenzo Ghiberti and the East Door, called Paradise Door by Michelangelo, always by Lorenzo Ghiberti.
Giotto’s Campanile was started in 1334 and completed in 1359 by Francesco Talenti. It is 80 m high and about 15 m large. It is considered the most beautiful bell tower of Italy.The visitor can admire the ruins of the old basilica of Santa Reparata, found under the cathedral between 1965 and 1973.The polychrome mosaic floor is wonderful and decorated with geometric decorations. Many of the statues and artworks originally placed in the cathedral have been brought to Museo dell’Opera (closed until November 2015).To visit the entire historic complex of Santa Maria del Fiore, you have to buy a single ticket. It costs 10 euros.
Visit times – Giotto’s Campanile
Generale: 8:30 – 18:50
Epifania: 8:30 – 13:20
Tel: +39 055 2302885
Fax: +39 055 2302898
The Church of San Miniato al Monte is located in the upper part of Florence, near Viali dei Colli. Its construction dates back to 1013 and it was completed in the 12th century. Its white and green marble facade is a clear example of Florentine architecture. The crypt hosts St Miniato’s tomb. The bell tower was built in 1523 and it was used by artillery during the assault of Florence.The church has three naves and a beautiful inlaid floor (1207) decorated with symbols of the zodiac.The Crucifx Chapel, designed by Michelozzo, was built in 1448. The Cardinal of Portugal Chapel is in the left nave and it is the only funerary chapel of the church. The sacristy hosts Spinello Aretino’s frescos. The abbey, near the church, hosts Paolo Uccello’s frescos.
Opening times Church of San Miniato al Monte
Lunedì – Sabato: dalle 9.30 alle 19.00 (20.00 in Estate)
Tel: +39 055.234.27.31
Fax: +39 055.234.53.54
The Basilica di San Lorenzo (Basilica of St. Lawrence) is considered one of the oldest churches of Florence. It was consecrated in 393 by St Ambrose and dedicated to St. Lawrence Martyr. It experienced a lot of changes. The first one in 1059, the second one in 1400 by the will of the Medici who wanted to transform it into a family church. Works were commissioned to Brunelleschi and completed by Antonio Manetti. The church is divided into three naves and it hosts many works by Donatello, Filippo Lippi, Bronzino and more recent artists, like Pietro Annigoni, In the old sacristy, designed by Brunelleschi, the interior decoration was commissioned to Donatello. The frescoed dome reproduces a small planetarium which, as legend wants, represents the planets and stars citizens of Florence could see iduring a night of 1442. The new sacristy, designed by Michelangelo, is the burial place of Lorenzo the Magnificent and Giuliano de’ Medici.
Opening times Basilica di san Lorenzo.
Lunedì – Sabato: dalle 10.00 alle 17.00 (13.30 – 17.00 festivi)
Florence Tourist Travel Guide
- The most beautiful churches of Florence
- Uffizi Gallery
- Medici Chapels
- The bridges
- The historic palaces
- Florence by night
- How to get Florence